With cooler weather on its way, autumn brings a haven for dogs outdoors. But fall also brings threats of poisonous chemicals and biting snakes.
Here are some autumn safety tips from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals about how to keep your dog safe in the coming months.
♦ Rodenticides: Rat and mouse poisons are often used during fall months as rodents begin moving indoors. Rodenticides are highly toxic to pets and, if ingested, and could kill them. People using those products who own pets should use extreme caution and store the rodenticides away from pets.
♦ Car engine coolants: Many people change their engine coolant in the fall. Coolants prevent engines from overheating. Ethylene glycol-based coolants are highly toxic, so spills should be cleaned immediately. Propylene glycol-based coolants aren’t completely nontoxic, but are less toxic than other coolants.
♦ School supplies: Children are back to school and fully equipped with glue sticks, pencils and magic markers. Those items are considered of low toxicity to pets, but can upset their stomachs and can create blockages if eaten.
♦ Mushrooms: Fall and spring are mushroom seasons. Poisonous mushrooms can be difficult to distinguish from nontoxic ones, so the best way to prevent pets from eating poisonous plants is to keep them away from areas where these fungi bloom entirely. Pet owners should contact a veterinarian immediately if a pet eats a wild mushroom or call the ASPCA at 888-426-4435.
♦ Wildlife: Snakes tend to bite more in the fall as they prepare for hibernation, so owners should be wary of areas near snakes.
♦ Chocolate: Halloween is fun for the kids (and even adults!), but can be a danger for dogs, as chocolate is toxic for them. If your dog has ingested chocolate or is exhibiting signs of increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, muscle tremors or seizures, contact a veterinarian immediately or call the ASPCA at 888-426-4435.